College Access Counseling
The Center for College Readiness offers numerous development opportunities for teachers, counselors and administrators. Our college readiness focused programming is designed to build awareness about the role of rigor in preparing students for college, to create a college going culture within the school community, and to explore the critical skills of effective college counseling for all educators.
We invite you to learn more about our development opportunities for educators:
- Fundamentals of College Counseling Online Program: A holistic, core curriculum teaching the critical skills of effective college counseling. Topics include: exploring colleges, financial aid and scholarships, and the admissions process.
- The Role of the College Access Counselor: Explore methods and strategies for working with students and their families to guide them through the college search process.
- The Undergraduate Admissions Process Online Program: Learn in detail about the factors that go into the “holistic review” of highly selective colleges and universities in the United States. Topics include: transcripts, curriculum, high school context, standardized test scores, essays, letters of recommendation, athletic recruits, performing artists and disciplinary infractions.
- Understanding the Needs of Aspiring First Generation College Students Online Program: Explore the social, emotional and cultural barriers aspiring first generation college students will face and must overcome in order to achieve success in their transition from high school to college.
- Letters of Recommendation: This course offers educators knowledge on how to best advise students, so that they can secure the most effective letters of recommendation. It also provides tips and strategies to assist educators in writing effective letters of recommendation for their students.
- College Access Counseling Certificate: The College Access Counseling Certificate Program is a minimum 40-hour (non-credit, Continued Professional Education - CPE) certificate program that fulfills the professional needs of secondary college access counselors.
- College Readiness Resources: These resources provide up-to-date information on college readiness programs across the country, post-secondary course expectations and syllabi, and informative articles and reports on college readiness.
- Essential Guide to Preparing for College: An open-source website was created for parents, students, counselors and teachers with the goal of providing information and resources to assist in the college process.